Monday, February 3, 2014

25 Inspiring Ways to Recognize the Love You Give!

When Katie was just born I had some people tell me that everyday would get better, I wasn't sure it was possible. But they were right! Everyday with my little Katie Claire is sweeter than the day before! 

Today she did something cute, I can't remember what exactly, but it made me laugh and I thought "I smile everyday thanks to this little girl!"

It's pretty amazing that such a little person can bring so much joy! And I imagine it will just keep getting better, right?!

Unfortunately, sometimes I forget to slow down, or stop what I'm doing to enjoy it all a little more.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that struggles with this! I constantly feel at odds with myself - when I'm playing with Katie I feel a nagging that I need to get things done and once I start do get things done I feel another nagging feeling that I should stop and play with Katie (maybe it's the little hands grabbing at me??)! This inner battle gets really annoying!

I realize that there are many roles I play in life that need my attention, and being a good mom doesn't require me to sit and play "peek-a-boo" all day long! I am working on finding more balance with this struggle. (Any tips welcome.)

The greatest tool I have learned to help manage this is listening to those little nudges that come throughout the day. "Stop cleaning and go play with Katie." It works the other way too - "Now's a good time to do the dishes." The days I follow those promptings closely are always satisfying days! 

I think it's also important for me to recognize that everything I am doing I am really doing for Katie - keeping a clean house, making good food, working hard to create a good life for us, etc. etc. I am just having this insight for the first time now! (There go the little voices again.) I am so grateful for this insight I am having! Hallelujah! Perhaps this will bring a little more peace the next time I find myself in the kitchen a little longer than planned. ;)

I want to share a book with you that I was honored to be a part of called How Do I Love You: Let Me Count the Days. It is meant to be used as an inspiration and provide ideas of how you can show a little more love to your family throughout the month of February. But you can also use it in another way - as you read the ideas recognize and honor yourself for all that you're already doing to show your love to your family each and everyday. And then find a few more fun ideas along the way!

You can get it for free here. If you start today the 25 ideas will take you all the way through February!

Happy Valentine's, you amazing person, you!


5 comments:

  1. You are absolutely not alone. In my opinion, parenting, much like life, is a constant balancing act. I know for me, I get stuck when I start comparing myself to others that I deem to be "Super Moms" or when I start shaming myself for not living up to my own standards (or society's standards). Just don't forget to pamper yourself in between loads of laundry and boo-boo kisses. You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And of course by "pamper" I mean "take care of."

      Delete
  2. I have nine children and can easily say you are not alone in this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, having one child at home is harder then more because your first doesn't have anyone else to play with but you! once the sibling gets old enough to play with older sister, they are more occupied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every mom's battle! I have 8, including 2 year old twins. Before twins the BEST way to do anything was to do it together. I'd wash dishes with the baby in the other sink bowl, do laundry with them "helping", bought a little broom so we could sweep together. Then rather than house vs. child, it was US having fun together AND developing a good attitude toward work. Who wants to raise their kids to hate work or view it as a punishment!?! Now, with twins? Yikes! It's a little harder! I have one older son who is REALLY good at including them in everything he does. Little kids LOVE work. They feel so valued. He has taught them to empty almost the dishwasher even! They love it, it's all a game to them, and they feed off our delight. : )

    I too agree that the first is VERY MUCH the hardest. Later kids have all those older siblings (with similar attention spans!) to entertain them. Couldn't believe how much easier my second was.

    Wow, hope that didn't overwhelm anyone. I guess I have a lot of opinions on this subject!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete