Monday, December 10, 2012

The Healthy Kitchen Club: Quick Cookies

I recently hosted my first Healthy Kitchen Club meeting in my neighborhood. I commented about it on Facebook and you asked for the recipes and notes. So here they are! I am contemplating creating another blog with the sole purpose of sharing my healthy living tips!



As you know, I love learning about healthy eating/living and I feel I have a lot of great things to share. I read a lot of healthy blogs which are all great, but I find myself asking, "What do they eat on a regular basis?" "How do they prepare their food and where do they get their stuff." And, "Do they ever 'slip-up' and eat a little junk food?" I want more day-to-day real-life tips. I don't claim to be an expert, I don't run tests and studies but I have read a lot from the experts and I know what makes my body feel good!

That was why I decided to start these little classes - share simple tips with a little bit of the background info to help you make healthy changes in your kitchen. And I think there's a bigger audience wanting this information... so... what do you think? Let me know if you would enjoy reading my tips and advice and what it is you are looking for in a healthy lifestyle blog (please tell me in the comments).

So... here we are... it's the Holidays and, as I mentioned in my Halloween post, treats and sugar are a plenty! And you don't want to miss out on the fun. But if you indulge too much you'll end up feeling like Jolly Old Saint Nick himself (with the belly that shakes like a bowl full of jelly) come New Year's Day. So here are some sweet treats that are much healthier than what you might find at the dessert table at the church Christmas Party!

Amaze your friends with these tasteful treats - or save them for yourself (that's what I like to do!!). 

(I have decided to share these recipes in 3-4 posts, so it doesn't get too lengthy. So if you haven't please follow by email so you'll get the next recipes.) 

The goal with these treats is whole, non-processed sugar. Also using  about 1/3 less of what the recipe original recipe calls for. And rather than using white flour we are choosing gluten free flours, no flour or sprouted flours. 

Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookies, Coconut Macaroons, No Bake Cookies

No Bake Cookies
Original recipe from: Raw Melissa

4 cups oats
6 TB cocoa powder
1/2-3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup almond butter
3/4 cup agave or honey
1 TB vanilla

Combine all dry ingredients.  Incorporate wet and mix with hands.  Place on a cookie sheet with wax paper, freeze or refrigerate for a bit.  Place them in a ziploc bag in refrigerator and enjoy!

Coconut Macaroons
Originally from Diet Rebel's Cookbook. I have made a few adjustments.

Lightly textured and full of healthy fats, this cookie will satisfy a sweet tooth, but not too sweet to have a few for a great addition to a snack or after meal treat. Great for pregnant or nursing mothers.

1/2 - 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 1/4 c almond meal or flour
1/4 tsp. real salt
1/2 cup coconut oil at room temperature
1/4 cup maple syrup (Grade A or B)
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Optional: 2-3 TBS ground flax seed

Optional Topping
1/3 semi-sweet chocolate chips
2-3 TBS cup milk source (cow’s, almond, coconut, etc.) or coconut oil

1. in a bowl, whisk together the coconut flakes, almond flour, and salt
2. in another bowl, blend coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla
3. blend dry with wet
4. spoon onto cookie sheet
5. melt chocolate chips and milk on low
6. drizzle chocolate on macaroons
7. Freeze for 30 minutes to 1 hour then move to fridge and enjoy! (Will get gooey if stored at room temperature.)

Please refer to my must-have ingredients post to see where to find the ingredients in these recipes.

Stay tuned for the next recipe: "Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookies."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anne ~ I would love to read your healthy kitchen tips. I already follow this blog and look forward to the possibility of a healthy kitchen club. If you have any tips for "sneaking" the good stuff into the not so good stuff I would love to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I've been looking for healthier cookie recipes! These look great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete