Thursday, October 4, 2012

From Sea to Shining Sea! Part 2: DC & WV

After a couple months of getting the hang of the parenting thing, we flew out to see my sister Jenny and her new baby Neal who was born just 3 weeks after Katie. She also has a 5 and 3 year old boy. But before we drove out to West Virginia we spent 2 days in Washington D.C.



It was Tanner's first time in D.C., which is crazy because he has been all over the world! It was fun for Katie and him to have a "first" together. Our little Katie was a champion traveler - again. The last 20 minutes on the flight out there she got fussy because of her ears and everyone started to stare and give me the "Poor baby! Poor Mommy!" face. That can get annoying really fast... But I know they're just trying to be nice and I would have probably done the same thing.

We saw the main sights in D.C. - the National Mall (Washington Monument, WWII Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Monument, White House, Capitol), and went to a few museums (Air and Space, National History, National Archives and Holocaust.) We left the Holocaust museum pretty fast once Katie started to scream - not the best place for a loud fussy baby! But I've been there before - highly recommended if you haven't been - very emotional.

We ate at some great restaurants, enjoyed a walking tour, D.C. by night and stayed in a beautiful hotel. The weather was perfect and Katie slept great! It was perfect timing for us to go the Nation's Capitol with the election so close. Tanner (and I as a side effect) is very political. Next to sports that's his thing. So he especially loved being there! His favorite was the Jefferson Memorial. They built Jefferson's statue to look straight onto the White House as if he is looking over it to make sure the President doesn't get too much power. Without getting too political, let's just say Tanner and I think Jefferson would agree that it's time for a change.

My favorite was the Lincoln Memorial. It's so grandiose and beautiful and I loved reading the words on the walls.

Did amazing on the plane ride!

White House

Again - always in her car seat!


My favorite memorial

Lookin' good!



Taking it all in.

I was inspired and comforted by the words of Abraham Lincoln.


After DC we drove 4 hours to Morgantown, West Virginia to see my sister and her family. We spent 3 wonderful days with her, Tony and their 3 boys (Seth, 5, Joseph, 3 and Neal, 3 months). It was so great to be with her as a new moms.

Spending time with Jenny was just the boost I needed! I was being really hard on myself as a new mom and being with a mom of 3 helped to put things in perspective - sometimes life is just a little crazy, but we do our best and our kids turn out great. We loved doting over each other's babies and sitting in the family room with our nursing shields feeding our babies together. And of course I loved playing with the older boys too. It was such a great time! I love my sister so much and I am grateful we can now share this experience together.

We took a pit stop at the Washington D.C. Temple
and Tanner ran into a former BYU football player who
just had a baby too!
I love how white and chubby Katie looks in this picture!

COUSINS!!

Katie looks huge compared to Neal.
3 weeks can really give you a head start!

He is so sweet! Such a mild tempered (Type 2) baby.

Clever Joseph thought to bring his helmet.
Later on he was glad he did!

Big boy Seth!

Rock Climbing in the WV mountains

Helmet came in handy!

Loving the outdoors.

My dream of my baby falling asleep on me finally came true!

Neal can fall asleep anywhere!

I did it! I climbed all the way to the top.
I really don't enjoy rock climbing - it's hard!
But Tony & Tanner kept me going and I did it!!!

That's not Katie!
Neal pooped and had to borrow a spare onesie. 

Little buddies.

Neal's Blessing Day

The star of the show.

I love this! She owns that bed. We slept on the floor... just kidding.

Save the best for last. To die for!





2 comments:

  1. You covered a lot of ground in DC and got some great pictures! Thank you for documenting your visit so well, I love it! Thank you for coming out to visit, we still talk about how much fun it was to have you and we were so glad we got to meet Katie when she was just a few months old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~ She is so beautiful. I love her long eyelashes.

    ~ I love your DC pictures. I went there, and to New York, the summer before 9/11. It was so much fun to see the capital. I loved the Holocaust Museum. That is one of my favorite time periods in history. It was so moving and a very emotional experience. I recommend it as well.

    ReplyDelete