Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Meet Katie Claire

I've been meaning to write this post for the last 2 weeks now... but I've had other things to attend to - namely Katie.

But she is sleeping peacefully now, and the dishes are done, the bed is made, the floors are swept, so now I can finally sit down and introduce my sweet baby girl to you! (Okay, totally kidding about the house being clean. It's the exact opposite.) But I have a happy baby, so that's what matters. Plus, today she is 4 weeks old so this is the the perfect way to celebrate!


Name: Katie Claire Brown
Current Weight: 8 lbs. 4 oz.
Eye Color: Blue Gray
(I think they'll end up blue like her daddy's)
Hair Color: Soft Brown in back, light blond in front
(Hoping for curls!)
Favorite Hobbies: Eating, Sleeping, staring at the light coming through the blinds
Other Favorite Activities: Taking walks, going for drives, loud noises - especially the blow dryer


Katie is named after Tanner's great-grandma Katie Claire Young May. We liked the name Katie May even before we were pregnant but then it fell off the list. We named Kaite "May Elizabeth" for one day, but then I was embarassed to tell anyone or call her that so I figured it wasn't right. So we went back to the drawing board: Adele, Caitlin, Julie and out of no where Katie popped up again. We thought May felt a little to "light" for our Katie, so we went to Claire. Funny thing, my mom suggested Claire as the middle name and didn't even know it was a family name! Once we settled on Katie Claire we all felt really good about it! And it is perfect for her!

I love that it's a family name. Tanner didn't ever know his great-grandma and it's not like she has a legacy in the family that would call for naming our baby after her, but from what Tanner's mom tells us she was a very sweet and kind lady (with a great name!). I wonder if they knew each other in Heaven and if there is a special reason why we chose that name. On Mother's Day Marcy surprised me with the Katie Claire's old scriptures! What a surprise and treasure!!


Katie is such a good baby. She doesn't fuss much - just when she's hungry. She sleeps for at least 3 hours a stretch at night and sometimes up to 6 hours! We love her for that! And sleeps for long stretches during the day. She is very pleasant and very alert. Her eye are beautiful and just draw me in!

She loves to be on the move. She falls asleep the moment the car turns on and will sleep as long as she's in her car seat. She is very easy to travel with! Bonus for her, because we are her parents and we like to travel!!!

Tanner and I are having quite the adventure in this new parenting world. Everyone told me to enjoy my sleep before she came and I didn't quite understand. Now I do!!! The morning I woke up after a 6 hour sleep stretch I felt so rested and thanked every little lucky star in the skies. I remember when 6 hours of sleep was a bad night! Tanner is a great help at night and will stay up with her if needed.


The part that is hard for me is that everyday is so inconsistent and I'm not sure what to expect. I'm used to knowing what I am doing every hour (or minute) of the day. I like my plans! Just winging it each day has been an adjustment for me. 

I was super overwhelmed the first few days after arriving home. Going to bed and not knowing when I'd wake up and how long I'd be up. I wanted to do everything right and nothing wrong, I didn't want her to cry. In fact, her crying made me nervous. Not so much anymore - you get used to it. I felt this huge responsibility and kept thinking... It's worth it, right? Billions of other women have done this, I can do this! Things have settled down now and I feel more confident and relaxed in my role as a mother, but still a lot to learn.


My favorite parts are snuggling with Katie. I love how her little body just melts into my arms. I love her little noises and squeaks and her tiny little movements. I love inspecting every part of her little body. I love kissing her soft cheeks. I love when I look at her and my heart just gets really happy and I think, "Wow, you're beautiful." "Wow! You're mine!" I love watching Tanner love and cuddle her. He just LOVES his baby girl.


We determined Katie was a Type 3 when she was born. It was really obvious, not only in her features, but just in her spirit. I had this sense (and felt this way the whole time I was pregnant) that she is a strong, determined, peaceful soul. I am excited to see how she grows into herself. Tanner and I recorded a video with Katie talking more about her Type here.


All in all, Katie is amazing. She is a blessing in our lives and we love her! 

My dear friend Jessie Shurtleff took these amazing pictures. To see more go to her website. (You should have her take your pictures too!)




7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! She is beautiful! I love the scriptures- awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to laugh cause my birthing plan didn't turn out the way I wanted it to either- funny how it doesn't matter at all now. (I'm J's sis) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) She is soo beautiful! yeah I'm adjusting to never knowing what to expect with #2 for me either. :) She is constantly changing her feeding schedule but we work it out. it all comes out in the wash and I'm loving every minute I get with this sweet baby. The time is flying by all too quickly this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so glad i get to look at your blog now! i love these baby pictures especially the fact that they were taken in your home in katie's surroundings:) can't wait to see more

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful pictures! You are such a beautiful family and you can tell Katie is a very happy baby! :)
    I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a gorgeous baby! I am glad that you guys are starting to adjust to life with her! I've never had a type 3 baby, so I'm not sure how unpredictable it is/or can be. :) You and tanner look great and so happy! Happy for you and your little family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, you are so pretty, Anne! I love how honest you are in your birthing story. I don't have children yet, but I definitely want to have a natural, unmedicated birth when I do, and so I felt disappointed right along with you when you described how your birth plan changed, but I'm glad that knowing Katie's type gave you some peace around the kind of birth you ended up experiencing. Sending much love to your little family!

    ReplyDelete