Sunday, April 15, 2012

Homemade Granola

Yum, Yum! I loooove Granola. But I am very partial to Homemade Granola! It has the right crunch, right flavor, perfect texture - everything about it is amazing. I don't even waste money buying granola in the stores anymore.

I have tried a few recipes and this is my best I have come up with!


Honey Sweetened Crunchy Granola

2 1/2 cups Rolled Oats
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 Wheat Germ
1/2-1 cup each almonds, pecans, cashews (any nuts of choice)

Mix the above ingredients in a large bowl, then transfer to a cake pan and cook for 40 mins at 300 degrees. 

Meanwhile, mix the below ingredients in a small pot on the stove on med-low heat:

1/4-1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
1/4 Coconut Sugar or Sucanut

Remove from heat and add:

2 tsp. Vanilla

Remove pre-cooked oats and nuts from oven and stir in oil/honey mix and bake for 30 more mins or until light golden. 

*Meanwhile, whip 2 egg whites to stiff peak. 

Once granola is done cooking add 1/2-1 cup Raisins or other dried fruit. Then mix in egg whites and let cool. 

Break into chunks and enjoy plain, with cow's milk or almond milk, or on top of yogurt!

* adding the egg whites is optional. It adds crunch and glues the granola together a little bit. Omitting it is fine.  

Enjoy!
(I like to eat it with unsweetened Almond or Coconut Milk.)

Since my sugar free journey I made a batch that replaced the Maple Syrup and Honey with Stevia and Brown Rice Syrup. Not as sweet, but still yummy and crunchy.







1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy. I just started making my own granola too. It is addicting to eat and fun to make.

    ReplyDelete