Sunday, December 4, 2011

Delicious & Nutritious Macaroons (Raw, Vegan, Gluten Free)

I'm a big fan of food blogs! I find all sorts of great recipe ideas. In my musings I have noticed that most food bloggers write an entire story before they get around to sharing the actual recipe. (They must be writers as well as bakers.) They share the history of the recipe or how it made them feel when they were younger... but I don't really care to do that (or to read it), so I'll just get right to it with my recipe!


This Macaroon recipe is soooo good! I found it in Diet Rebel's Cookbook and have since made my a few of my own adjustments.

I'm not a fan of the classic cooked Macaroons. I find them too sweet, but these are just fabulous and everyone loves them!

They are raw (except for the chocolate on top), Vegan (except for the milk in the chocolate chips) and Gluten Free! (You could use Carob Chips if you want them 100% Vegan.) They are full of good Coconut Oil (a healthy fat) and Almonds (another healthy fat) so I guess they are full of fat, but you need that every once and a while! :)

Here's the recipe:
Macaroons:

1 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
3/4 Almonds ground into flour 
(Or you can buy Almond Flour at the Health Food Store. I prefer fresh ground Almonds for the thicker texture.)
1/4 tsp. real salt
2/3 cup coconut oil at room temperature
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Topping
1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup Almond Milk

1. in a bowl, whisk together the coconut flakes, almond flour, and salt
2. in another bowl, blend coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla
3. blend dry with wet
4. spoon onto cookie sheet
5. melt chocolate chips and almond milk on low
6. drizzle chocolate on macaroons
7. store in fridge and enjoy


2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love Macaroons!! I love how you aren't afraid to take a classic and make it perfect for you. It's a good metaphor for life!!! You look beautiful pregnant, by the way :) I love it! And I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have just saved me! After some very wonderful personal revelation about how to heal my body, I have become vegan and also gone off of refined sugar. But for this butter/sugar/carb loving gal, there has been a lot of trial and error in the treat department. THis looks so good, my mouth is watering. Thanks so much for posting this!

    ReplyDelete