Saturday, November 12, 2011

Giving Thanks

Some of you may remember my post from last November where we wrote 1,000 plus thankfuls together. It's been a family tradition for 15 years. This year we shared the tradition on my mom's blog here.


As you will learn in both posts, I have been doing this tradition for all 15 years - even when I was out of the country or away at college. So true to form, I got out the Brown Family journal to start writing - but I just wasn't feeling it. Every time I sat down to write I wasn't excited about this tradition anymore - well at least this year.

I thought, "What is wrong with me? Do I have nothing to be grateful for?" Of course I have 1,000 things - 1 million - billion things for which I am grateful, but I guess I just wanted to express it differently this year.

Thanks to Tanner, I have learned to let things go and not get so caught up about "how something should be done." Two years ago I would have probably forced myself to continue this tradition like it or not. But now I think, "Does this sound fun?" "Will this make my life simpler?" And it just wasn't jiving.

I think it is wonderful to have a fun tradition of expressing gratitude throughout November. I have seen some people who post what they are grateful for on Facebook everyday. So I was trying to think of another way I could show a little extra gratitude and appreciation this Thanksgiving Season and this idea came...

I have decided to write 1 thank you note to someone each day leading up to Thanksgiving. At first I thought, I should write 1,000, maybe 100 cards, but then I decided to keep it simple - I'm pregnant, remember?! I can do that. :)

So, starting yesterday and up until Thanksgiving I am writing a thank you card to whomever pops into my head just to express my gratitude and appreciation for them!

I love getting special notes at random, so I know it will be a lot of fun to share the appreciation!

Do you do anything during the month of November to show a little extra gratitude?

On Thanksgiving Day I try to make all my prayers just gratitude prayers, rather than ask for anything. That's kind of fun - it makes you think extra hard. Maybe I'll do that  little more this month too!

Share your ideas and then go add to the list here, I'll keep adding there too!

Happy Thanks Giving!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I totally expect to get a thank you note (just kidding).
    Lately I've been trying to be more detailed in the gratitude in my prayers. I think this helps me stay focused and keeps me humble. Plus, I could use all the blessings I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea, to write thank you notes! :)
    I am also greatful for many things in my life and one of those things is you and your mom and your family! I can really say you've changed my life! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete