Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Meatless Tacos

Tacos have always been a favorite of mine. In fact, when we first got married we had tacos about once a week! I love a good crunch in my food and tacos deliver and I love the flavor.

More recently I have come up with a great Meatless Taco recipe and it is just as good as meat tacos.

That will be tomorrow's lunch!

So check it out...

(I made enough for 2-4 people so you will probably want to double it.)

1/2 onion
1 clove garlic
1-2 peppers (green, red, yellow)
any other miscellaneous veggies (I added carrots)
handful of cilantro chopped
1 can drained black beans
1/2 package Lawry's (my personal fav) Taco Seasoning
1/2 tomato
1 avocado for guacamole
1 head Romaine lettuce
hard shell tacos or soft corn tortillas (gluten free option instead of flour tortillas)

1. Dice all the veggies in your Chop Wizard (or spend a lot more time and energy and do it by hand - seriously, every kitchen needs a Chop Wizard).

2. Throw chopped veggies in lightly oil panned (I used my Misto again) and sautee for 3-4 minutes

3. Add black beans and taco sauce - cook on medium for 2-3 more minutes

4. Remove from heat and add cilantro and fresh tomatoes

5. Prepare Guacamole - 1 avocado, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cilantro, more fresh tomatoes

6. Shred lettuce

7. Prepare taco and enjoy!

Add chips and enjoy! 

It was a lovely meal! I even turned my second helping into a Taco Salad. Tanner's brother was over for dinner and enjoyed our meatless tacos too!

Give them a try and let me know what you think.

BTW - there was a grand total of 5 dishes for prep!!! Love it.


5 comments:

  1. tacos are one of my absolute favorites. i would ask for them for my bday every year. this is such a yummy recipe. i do vegetarian for me and i do meat for hubs and kids if they want it. the ladies in our house usually don't use meat in their tacos but the boys/men do! (this is Jolene)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for these recipes! i have been wanting to get more vege recipes, but am not really in the mood to research for hours and possibly not even find a good recipe and waste all our food. but i am sure i can trust your tastes.:) i am going to costco today to get all the stuff for tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are my favorite now!!! I never liked tacos because I don't like the flavor of ground hamburger, but these I love, and made me want to make tacos every week! My husband loved loading this on top of his meat taco and said it was the best taco he has ever had. One addition I made to the mixture was adding a little Cayanne pepper and it gives it a little kick, so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the recommendation to get a chop wizard. i bought one and it has saved me hours and i have only had it for a month! (i cut veges with almost every meal)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne! I hope this comment gets to you since the post was written so long ago... but anyways, I have been doing a "lifestyle" change/diet for about 9 months now and I think you would really like it! I have used two books for it: The Beauty Detox Solution (scientific and slightly intense) and Get Naked Fast! (I love this one and it has the BEST recipes in it). They are both vegan, but I add in meat a few times a week like you. I have found a great recipe for my taco craving that you will love! Diana Stobo's Portobello Mushroom Fajitas. You can add beans if you want! I don't even like mushrooms and this is my favorite vegan meal so far!

    4 spelt tortillas (I use corn tortillas)
    2 large Portobello mushrooms
    1 sweet onion
    1 red bell pepper
    1 tbsp nama shoyu (soy sauce)
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tbsp ghee (margarine or oil)
    1 tomato (to garnish)

    Marinate mushrooms for 15 min in soy sauce. Saute peppers, mushrooms, and onions for 5 min. Warm tortillas and fill with sautéed veggies, top with tomatoes and guacamole.

    Guacamole:
    2 avocados, mashed
    1/4 yellow onion
    1/4 cup cilantro
    1/2 jalapeño pepper
    1 lime, juiced
    1/2 tsp salt

    Chop everything and mix it all together! This guacamole recipe is SO good!
    Sorry for the long comment! You have to try these :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete