Sunday, October 30, 2011

Do you always eat that healthy?

Recently my friend asked me, after I served up some of my non-sugar, gluten free treat, "Do you always eat this healthy?" I thought about it and said, "Yeah, I guess." I don't really notice "how healthy" I am . It's just the way I eat now. Healthy eating is like a hobby for me. I love food documentaries, food books, learning more about whole living and eating. It just interests me.

I think it started after I graduated from high school and started cooking for myself. I started exercising and wanted to live a healthy life. It was easy at home, my parents are both active and my mom is an excellent and healthy cook. So when I was on my own I started doing my research and getting more interested of how to keep it going.

The first few books that really made an impact in my journey were: The Schwarzbein Principle, French Women Don't Get Fat and The Fat Fallacy.


They all talk about eating a whole diet - balanced with vegetables and fruit, good proteins, healthy fats and whole carbohydrates.

Back when low-fat was a huge craze (still is) and all my roommates were buying skim milk I was getting Vitamin D milk (now I don't drink milk). And my body responded well to the full fat.

I've always been thin, so I've never been motivated to eat healthy to loose weight, but rather to maintain and improve my health. I am strong believer that all ailments can be healed by an improved diet. And you can reach optimal healthy by supporting your body with the best foods possible.

So what do I eat? Over the years I have become more educated about diet and lifestyle and slowly have built a very healthy lifestyle. So when my friend asked me, "Do you always eat this healthy?" I had to think about it, because it just is the way it has become.

Okay, so... I don't have milk or butter in my home. I use Almond Milk and Grapeseed or Olive or Coconut Oil instead. And I don't use Vegetable Oil or Canola Oil.

I don't use White Sugar. I use Sucanat, Agave, Stevia, Maple Syrup, Honey or Coconut Sugar.

I don't use White Flour. Actually, I have recently gone Gluten Free, so I don't use any Wheat Flours anymore either. I use a Gluten Free flour blend, Rice Flour or other such gluten free flours.

I don't eat regular pasta, but use Quinoa pasta.

I only use organic cage free eggs, either from the store or our chicken coop.

I eat meat about 1-2 times a week. I try and cook vegetarian meals most of the time. When I do cook meat at home I use Grass Fed Beef and Range Free Chicken.


I don't drink soda. Never been a fan. Although Natural Brew Root Beer is delish! So if it's on sale I'll splurge a little. But I usually end up with a headache afterwards due to sugar overload.


I don't eat packaged-processed foods - chips (except tortillas), cheesy crackers, sugar cereals, packaged dinners, etc.

I drink phytoplankton and clay in the morning. :)

I eat fish occasionally (Salmon and Tuna).

I drink a green smoothie about 4-5 times a week.

I eat lots of raw nuts and seeds.

I use organic ketchup and other sauces.

And recently I have started buying mostly organic produce, but in the season I use items from the garden!

I'm not writing this to brag. Not at all. But to give and share ideas.

There are definitely people that are healthier than me! See here. I tried her way for 5 days and almost died! Eating is a personal thing and "to each their own." But I believe that most people just need more education to know what is out there and the options that are available.

You may look at the way I eat and be overwhelmed. I probably would have been too, if I read this 2 years ago. I have slowly become this way little by little. And you can too. If it feels right. That's important too. Going at your pace and listening to your body along the way.

And I'm human....so...

I love Red Mango.

I eat ice cream occasionally - especially if it's really good - like Strawberry Hagen-Daaz, or a Magnum bar.

Mine and Tanner's favorite (and only) fast food joint we hit up for a quick snack is Del Taco. We like the 49 cent tacos and the bean cup. (Although I did some research and I think the beans have gluten in them....)

I love chocolate and eat it. Chocolate chips with Almonds, Lindt balls.... yum!

I have tried to go off cheese as I would like to avoid dairy, but cheese is yummy! So I'm not there yet, but trying alternatives.

Tanner and I love to get Cafe Rio's Vegetarian Salad to share (I don't eat the flour tortilla). It's only $7 and so filling. We eat there at least once a week. I also love their Chicken Tortilla Soup so I'll eat the chicken in that.

And although I think HFCS is nasty and should be avoided at all costs, I do have a little candy every once and a while. Some of my most recent temptations include Peanut M&M's and Tootsie Pops (funny, huh?!). I don't ever buy it, but if someone has a candy bowl I just might help myself.

So there you have it. A little briefing on my diet or "eating lifestyle." I am excited to share more of what I make and eat - now that I'm not taunted by food pictures anymore. :) I have already posted a few healthy recipes and tips on here on my blog. I hope you have been finding those helpful!

What have you done over time to improve your diet?

10 comments:

  1. I eat a lot like you do. I actually learned about you through Green Smoothie Girl... and then Tricia. For me it had to do with weight control and the good health followed. I feel healthy and strong now, eating lots of fresh veggie's, whole grains, and low amounts of processed food.

    Eating this way during your pregnancy is such an advantage compared to learning about it through our children or later in life out of necessity.

    I read The China Study also. I enjoyed reading a lot of natural birth and breastfeeding books while pregnancy. Blogging is a great way to document your pregnancy and also find a lot of information from other bloggers. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curios about the whole milk versus lowfat why is whole milk better for you? It's always on my mind. I used to buy whole milk for my family but we switched to 1% after my husband found out he had high cholesterol and Blood Pressure.

    Part of my problem has been there is just so much info out there like traditional stuff you hear from a regular dr. versus stuff you hear from the whole foodie people. It really stresses me out! Maybe you can help to point me in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I would recommend reading one of the 3 books I mentioned. They explain it really well, as well as have other helpful information!
    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I support you and your weirdness :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne, you are so amazing! I greatly enjoy each and every one of your posts! I love hearing about your healthy lifestyle! I have added in green smoothies for lunch and I do oatmeal for breakfast but I haven't added any new healthy habits lately. I plan to slowly change like you suggested so as not to overwhelm myself :)! I'm glad you gave up the food picture thing. I have to give up little things all the time so as not to overwhelm myself. But we will all still get so much out of your posts and recipes even w out a picture! Thank you for sharing your wisdom! Happy Halloween! (this is jolene, in case it doesn't show me)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to be fearless! I'm kind of afraid to talk about my eating style on my blog because for some reason, I've attracted a lot of people into my life who immediately compare themselves to me and think that I look down on them if they are eating less healthy. So I'm working that energetic cycle out for now.

    But anyway, we sound like two peas in a pod. I don't admit it, ever, if I ever indulge in anything so its nice to see someone else being willing to admit that.

    Whole food eating always made more sense to me than what some superficial authority says. God made foods whole and natural and if anything has been done to change them then they won't be as good for us. So, for me its pretty basic. I've never even heard of/read those books before though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI! I'm Gentri's sister and she sent me over here because I'm constantly on the hunt for healthy eating inspiration. :) I love your whole attitude about treats and such! I just finished reading The Kind Diet, by Alicia Silverstone. I loved it, though I do love eggs and usually drive down to a local farm to buy them so I know the "kind" source they're coming from. :) Don't mind if I do follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow anne! i have heard you and your mom say that you have been pretty healthy and after reading this post, i see that you really are a super healthy eater. i am close to you on this journey, but with every added child it gets a little hard for a while b/c they have to learn how to chew all the more raw stuff like hard veges and salad. but green smoothies make it easy at least for one meal in the day. i would like to know what you do for a butter replacement. my family and i are huge bread fans. i get the most simple breads at the store with only 3 ingredients, but i need a butter replacement now. any suggestions? we normally have a green smoothie and a piece of toast for breakfast. i guess i could do peanut butter or something, but it isn't the same. also, thanks for the post about forks over knives! i watched it and really motivated me even more to finally be rid of milk and lower my meat amounts. i definitely can't go vegetarian b/c my body doesn't handle that well, but i am sure i will be ok with less meat. thanks for your blog and motivating people to be better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a fellow type 2. I recently felt very moved to go gluten free and have felt pretty awesome ever since. I am just curious why you have done the same? (just gathering and connecting details...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Anne have you ever tried Thai Food? I have heard it is very healthy. They use tons of vegetables and healthy ways to cook. It is very tasty and has lots of flavor!! Very delicious:)

    ReplyDelete