Friday, May 13, 2011

Everyday Green Smoothie

Last time this year I started a habit that would change the way I eat forever...I started adding High Fructose Corn Syrup to my oatmeal!!! YUM!

Just kidding...I started drinking Green Smoothies. My mother-in-law told me about Green Smoothie Girl and I haven't looked back since! It's a novel idea - eat greens! Who knew? :)


I now have a Green Smoothie every morning! The only time I don't drink green smoothies regularly is when I am on vacation. But I usually try to pick up an Odwalla or Naked Juice at the local store to get some greens.

Like I mentioned, Green Smoothies have changed my diet for good. Once I started drinking Green Smoothies I craved less sugar, less meat and dairy and less processed foods. My body wanted fresh, whole, green food. I now eat a big salad everyday too, not something I did before.

It has been amazing to see how my body responds too. My digestion is awesome. Without getting too graphic, I use the bathroom a lot... I also notice stronger finger nails, healthier skin, and I have stayed the same healthy weight and have actually decreased my exercise.

I used to get really fancy with my green smoothies (the Green Smoothie Diet book has a lot of recipes). I'd throw in greens I didn't even know existed and when I first started I had a $30 blender that left my smoothies extra chunky, and I would chug up to 64 oz in one day!!!

Another big change was that I didn't have to worry anymore about getting veggies in my meal the rest of the day!

If you are anxious to start going green I want to share my basic

Everyday Green Smoothie Recipe here:

6 oz. cold water
2 handfuls Spinach (I like the Organic Baby Spinach found at Costco)
1 1/2 C frozen Blueberries (buy a big bag at Costco)
1/2 banana (fresh or frozen)

That's it!

Here are a few additions I like to throw in:

Flax Seed Oil (great Omega 6's that a lot of us need)
Chia Seed (helps with digestion)
Slice of lemon with peel (great for skin)
Organic Kale or other dark greens

Getting into the habit of Green Smoothies is so easy, you just have to commit yourself and do it. I don't drink 64 oz. everyday now, but the recipe above will make a good 16 oz., which is what's recommended.

You don't need  a fancy blender, although I would recommend a BlendTec. I would also recommend getting a cup with a straw, it makes it sooo much easier to drink the smoothie. I love mine! (Just don't wash it in the bottom rack of the dishwasher.)

Are you a Green Smoothie Girl? Tell me your favorite recipes! What's holding you back from getting more green goodness in your body? I'm here to help!


11 comments:

  1. Love green smoothies too! Do you eat it with/for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? When do you eat your big salad? What salad dressings do you use? My green smoothie makes 16 oz and is 1 cup cold water, 2-3 handfulfuls spinach, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup strawberries, 1 banana, 1 tsp. olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne!

    I just found your blog off someone's DYT blog! How fun to see that you love green smoothies too! Your basic recipe sounds a lot like mine though a lot of times I just throw whatever I have laying around ~ sometimes they end up pretty crazy but oh well! Like you said, my body craves them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you posted this! I have been really wanting to try this, and know it is so good for you. I am committing myself today!Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So does it not taste like drinking spinach? What would the purpose be of adding olive oil? I really like the idea. Next time at Costco I will buy the spinich...and frozen blueberries. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne, we would get along so well!! This is awesome. I love green smoothies and drink them often. I always freeze my bananas though, because they add an awesome texture to smoothies. I love adding chia seeds and oats, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori, I just add olive oil because I know its a healthy fat that I don't get enough of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good miss! I was looking at some of the super green foodstuffs at Whole Foods, but they all have wheat grass in it, and I'm allergic to gluten and don't want to take the chance of it reacting badly...I'll have to try your green shake this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I love about this recipe is that you can not taste the spinach. My kids have no idea because they would freak out. Love it. I also add plain yogurt or ground up raw almonds. Love, April

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love green smoothies too! For Summer I've been using 'silk' coconut milk, ice, pineapple and bananas for a yummy summer treat! I've also been using almond milk instead of regular milk in the smoothies if I add milk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I tried my first green smoothie today, and I'm converted! I really love it! It tastes great, and soooooo healthy! My six year old didn't like it, but my 4 and 2 year old liked it! I told them it was a christmas drink because it's green.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love green smoothies! I like to use a fruit juice or coconut water as a base instead of just water. Orange juice gives it a nice citrus taste. I don't have any set recipes for green smoothies, I just like to use whatever I have lying around! A lot of spinach and kale both make appearances most of the time, as well as whatever frozen fruit I have sitting in the freezer. (Peach and pineapple are delicious.) Bananas are good for masking the flavor of strong greens in your smoothies. I also throw in a tablespoon or two of ground flax seed for a good energy boost!

    ReplyDelete