Sunday, May 8, 2011

Doing Dishes, Counting Blessings.

I really don't like doing dishes. I don't like getting my hands wet and yucky, or my ring wet and sticky. I don't like standing there and scrubbing when I would rather sit on the couch and relax after dinner. I don't like that to make a good meal I have to clean up a thousand dishes... and the list goes on.

I find myself complaining - a lot - when I do dishes. I stand there with a sour attitude wishing Tanner would come to the rescue and promise to do the dishes for the rest of our lives. I usually get angry when I am the one doing dishes and not him and then get bugged and then become an ornery wife. So as you can see - dishes are not my friend.

When we moved into our new house I thought of one way to lessen the pain - don't hand wash. I hand wash a lot of items, because I know I will use it the next day or I worry about wasting water if I run the dishwasher so frequently - well, to heck with that! I now put most everything in the dishwasher and do a quick hand wash on the other items. That has helped.

I've changed something else too. They say your attitude is everything. Well, I finally decided that unless I plan on eating off the countertop with my hand, I will be doing dishes the rest of my life and I might as well enjoy it! So today when I did my dishes I started to count my blessings. I started with the lovely pot that boiled my  eggs. I said, "I am grateful that I have pots and hot water that comes whenever I want it. I am grateful for our chickens and yummy food." Next I picked up my Chop Wizard and declared, "I am grateful for awesome kitchen tools. (Don't have a Chop Wizard? Get one!) I am grateful for fresh strawberries." Then I did the - yuck - big pot, "I am grateful for a warm house and the beautiful view of green grass and friendly neighbors I have when I do dishes."

Counting my blessings definitely lightened the mood and filled me gratitude for all that I have. I am going to continue this exercise all week - as I plan on cooking a lot - I know it will bring peace and happiness to our home!

Is there housework you despise? Do you dare try this technique? What have you done to brighten your attitude?

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I cook a TON. I totally know what you mean; the dishes get so frustrating and irritating. It makes me not want to cook, but unfortunately that's a really important aspect of eating healthily. Dishes are just going to have to be done, unfortunately! I love the exercise you did; I think I will try that next time I get irritated over the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that I wash dishes as I cook... well the pots at least. The smaller things I rinse and put in the dishwasher. Washing as I go must stem from my need for negative space or something. Spreading it out like that seems to make it less tedious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally love this idea. I have said I hate to cook for too long, when really it is the decided what to cook that I don't like. I love how you changed your attitude and I am going to try it on all the things that I don't like. Thank you Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on washing the dishes. I have started listening to books on tape while washing. It takes my mind off the work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also hate to wash dishes. Our kitchen is small with not a lot of countertop space so cleaning as I go helps. Also listening to a podcast or music while I do it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to be snooty and wear rubber gloves when I do dishes. My hands get too dry, otherwise. I also like to listen to Carol Tuttle podcasts while I clean the kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as I have something comfy to stand on that supports me, then washing dishes isn't so bad. In fact sometimes, it really can help me work out my frustration! Which is great, because I don't like staying frustrated!
    I just wish I had a bigger kitchen and the dishes didn't pile up so quickly! But then again, with a bigger kitchen I would just have more dishes to wash probably...from being lazy...hmm....
    Good idea to count blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOoray! How inspiring, we are starting this today as we have a lot to pick up we'll get to work after church and start counting our blessings aloud. Wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your honesty! I have all kinds of conversations in my head while cleaning. By the time Im finished Ive usually worked myself up into a tizzy. Thanks for the change in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dishes were my nemesis for so many years too. It always helped me to have a sink by a window with a pretty view. But sometimes I didn't have that. The thing that helped me the most was something my Mother in law told me. She has M.S. and limited feeling in her limbs. She said she loves to do dishes because she enjoys the feeling of the warm water and soap on her hands, and the quiet time to think. I always felt isolated in the kitchen doing the dishes while everyone else got to go relax or connect, and I certainly didn't think doing the dishes felt luxurious. But I tried to focus on the enjoyable sensations and the smell of the soap (I try to pick nice smelling soap) and be grateful for the time to think and pray now, and the fact that I do have the ability to wash my dishes. My dishes get done quicker and more often now (making them less smelly and gross)and they don't make me angry anymore. It really does have a lot to do with what we focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate doing the dishes. I put everything in the dishwasher that will go in it. My boyfriend is a trooper, and he will do my dishes for me as long as I agree to dry them. Eventually, my goal is to only own things that are dishwasher safe. There are pots and pans out there that are dishwasher safe, and it is my goal to own them. When we get married in a year or two (no date yet), we will be putting only dishwasher-safe kitchen items on our registry because I hate doing dishes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely idea!! And I wish you still blogged!!!

    ReplyDelete