Thursday, March 3, 2011

Now We See the Light!

I love the new Disney movie Tangled. I thought the story line was cute, fun and creative and the songs were delightful. My favorite song from the movie is, "I See the Light."


Tanner and I have been singing this song together a lot lately and it dawned on me...we really have seen the light. We recently decided we wanted to move and it was like the fog had lifted!

We were at a family party on January 13th and Tanner went to out to his yard (we own a house by his family in Springville) and gave his trees a visit. On our drive home Tanner said something like, "We need to live in Brown Town someday." His trees are very dear to him and he would love there to reap the "fruits" of his labor. This comment led to a discussion of where we currently live - high on a mountain top and how we felt about it.

When we first were married we moved into the house right next door to my parents. My grandparents had bought it 3 years previous as an investment property but were never able to sell it. After 6 months of living in it we decided to buy it from my grandparents.


It is a beautiful house! Lovely features and lots of room! It has been nice living right next door to my parents too. But it dawned on us that January day that we weren't as happy as we once were living in this house.

It is, as mentioned, high on a mountain top, and far away from, as Tanner put it, life. We spend a lot of time in Provo and Springville (sports, family), and Draper (work). They are all generally close, but it makes a difference when you have to drive down and up a big mountain. So we end up staying home and being bored a lot or driving a lot. And because we live in an older neighborhood - most people have young families or are empty nesters, our only hang out friends are my parents. (Not bad, but I'm ready to have friends that don't share my family names.) The weather is also another factor - it's like another world up here in the winter. There will be 2 inches and the valley and 2 feet at home!

I don't want to sound like we hate it up here, because that's not the case. We just realized what we really want and are excited for a new change. 

The other reason was that we only use about 1/5th of our home. We use the bedroom, bathroom, family room and kitchen. We don't use the 3 rooms upstairs, the dining room, front room, office and the 2,500 sq. foot basement. I thought it was kinda cool that we lived in a big house, but I now realize what I really care about is not size, but the feeling in the home. We realized we were putting a lot into a house that wasn't giving much back.

We talked and talked all day bringing up different points of why we wanted to move and what we wanted instead. The main reasons we decided were social and financial. We could hardly sleep that night! It felt so right and we were so esxcited! Like I said, it really was like the fog had lifted, and we had seen the light! A feeling I love! It makes it so easy to move forward.

So the next day (Friday the 14th, just to show the timeline) we listed the house for sale, by Tuesday the 18th my uncle who owns rental properties in this area bought it from us! BooYa! That's less than a week and since it was still in the family there was no need for lengthy paper work. I don't buy into the belief that the "economy stinks and it's hard to sell houses." I choose to believe that when it's right and meant to happen things can move forward easily and effortlessly, and in this case it meant selling our house fast!


I was nervous to tell my parents, knowing they would be sad. They shed a few tears, but were excited for us and supportive.

That weekend Friday the 21st we went house hunting. We both knew exactly were we wanted to live - Rockwell Townhomes in Pleasant Grove, Utah. It's the perfect location - 15 minutes to Provo, 17 minutes to Brown Town, 17 minutes to work and 15 minutes to my parents! The units are new, nice, spacious and in a very young community. Tanner's best friend also lives there.

At first we were planning on renting and nothing was open in Rockwell, so we looked at places nearby, but were a little sad we weren't going to be where we really wanted to be. Well, after finding out what people were charing for rent we figured it'd be cheaper to buy! So we looked at Rockwell again and found a unit that was in foreclosure! We called the number and the guy came right out to show it to us! We took one look inside and knew it was ours! It was the biggest unit available in the development and had all the nicest features available. And even better, it's about 50 feet from Tanner's friend's place! There's a pool, club house and exercise room. Honestly, it couldn't get any better!

So within a matter of 1 week we sold our house and found our new place!!!! I am so grateful that the fog lifted and we followed our inspiration and that all the doors were open to lead us to the perfect place!

We are still waiting to hear from the bank, should happen in the next 4 days. I am grateful our loan is being accepted and we are moving in by March 15th. (That's my intention.) We are so ready to get into our new house! Now, close your eyes and envision the bank approving our loan this week and us happily moving into our new place! Thanks for your help! :)

Have you ever had a similar experience? Where you "saw the light?" I'd love to hear it!

5 comments:

  1. oh yay! I'm so excited for you. I actually think my husband and I looked into renting in that area at one point. lol. I'm so glad you'll be closer to friends. I feel like you're moving closer to me,.. except we don't hang out so it doesn't make much difference. lol. :) hahaha. yay for moving into a more age/station in life appropriate place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous! That is great to sell so fast in this market! We are renting our house out instead of selling. Hope the move goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so exciting Anne! I already knew all of this but I know exactly how you feel. We went from building a condo to wanting to go back to our older not as nice house.. but when it feels right, it IS right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Change is so exciting! So I'm wondering if Farmer Brown and the Mrs. would like to come over one Sunday night for dessert and provide a garden consultation before the season kicks off. Now that I don't talk to you every day, I'm looking for other ways to get together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ashley, It's so fun to hear from you! How are things? Has your baby arrived yet?
    We would love to join you for dessert sometime, but I don't know about how much gardening consulting we can offer. :) We are planning on doing a garden, but are definitely learning along the way and tell you what we know!
    Let us know if you want to get together sometime!

    ReplyDelete