Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Velvet Crew - Reunited

Something you may not know about me is that I am really good snowboarder. Maybe that sounds cocky, but I'm proud to say it. :) It's a sport I actually am really good at!

Julie and I at the top of Sundance.
I have a picture of the whole Velvet Crew, but it's packed away.
I will post it when we unpack.

When I moved to Utah at the age of 5 my mom taught all us kids how to ski. I loved skiing - being outside with my family was so much fun. Those are some of the best childhood memories I have. When my brothers got a little older they decided it was cooler to snowboard and I followed soon after. Snowboarding is hard as a beginner. You fall down a lot and really feel it the next day. I was so sore after my first day of snowboarding that I had to stay home from church. I literally couldn't move.

But thanks to my brothers' persistence and dedication I kept going. It was always a family thing until I my Senior year in High School when I met Julie Herger and Aly Dame. They both loved snowboarding too so we started to go together ALL THE TIME. Since we were in school all week we dedicated every Saturday from mid-October thru April to snowboarding at Brighton Ski Resort (in my opinion the best resort in the world). We would hit the powder, the park, the rails, the jumps and loved it all!

We learned from each other and got really good really fast. We had a blast together. There aren't many girls on the slopes especially girls who ride with just girls. We thought we were pretty cool so we named ourselves "The Velvet Crew." The name came from the women-specific goggle brand Velvet that we all wore. (Seriously the best goggles I have ever worn.) 


We thought we were pretty hardcore and would try to impress the guys with our style. Yet, to no avail. But really, who wants a park-rat-junky snowboarder dude anyways?! 

After high school we went our seperate ways to college but tried to keep up the snowboarding. I would skied the Beav in college. I had school 3 days a week and would hit the slopes the other 2 and on weekends. Again,  I was pretty hardcore.


We didn't get many opportunities to go together as The Velvet Crew as we continued to live life - I went on a mission, Julie got married and had kids and Aly moved to Ohio. But just recently Julie and I hit the slopes after almost 5 years of not boarding together. We had a blast! It was just like old times, pushing each other to do better and go faster, hoopin' and hollerin' through the powder! It was great.

Still rockin' the Velvets.

Julie went off a jump and there was a younger guy watching that said, "Whoa! Nice!" and I was laughing to myself because little did he know that Julie is a mother of 2! Yeah, we still got it!

Okay, quick funny story: The first time Julie and I went boarding this year at Sundance we took a break in the hotel check-in room. Obviously, not a place for skiers to take a pit-stop. Nevertheless, we shamelessly welcomed ourselves, helped oursleves to hot chocolate and tea and warmed our feet by the fire. (I was a little worried, but Julie proceeded confidently so I just followed her.) Julie's feet were so cold even though she had them by the fire. I told her to put them closer to really warm them up. Well, she did and all of the sudden pulled her foot off yelling, "I just burned my sock!" And sure enough her sock had melted onto the glass on the fireplace leaving her footprint! We were laughing so hard and it started to smell like burnt...um...sock. We went back the next time and her footprint was still there! Haha. It was so funny and a great moment to share!

The burnt sock.

Warming by the fire.

Best Buds!

I also have to give credit to my brother Mark. Although not a member of The Velvet Crew, he has been a huge inspiration and motivation to me in becoming the snowboarder that I am. He has taught me more than anyone else on the slopes. Thanks, Mark!

Do you ski or snowboard? Or heck, are you a professional sledder? I just went cross-country skiing and loved that too! I do not understand how people can live in a place like Utah and not enjoy a winter sport. That's a long winter...

3 comments:

  1. Yeah you are, you are some of the best girls I have ever seen on the slopes! You rock! Thanks for the shout out, I have learned a lot from you too. It has been so much fun riding together over the years, it is some of my best memories too, I would not have wanted to share it with anyone else. Can't wait to go up again soon! PS. What's so bad about us park junkies? JK, I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love snowboarding every since I went my very first time and haven't been back since. Lol! I'm just not really big on skiing etc,.. but I seriously did love snowboarding,.. I felt so cool. Maybe someday when I have some time me and my hubby will have to try rockin the slopes together. Something we've never done as a couple. that would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just reread this from your "experienced" link and LOVED it. So fun to reminisce. I love you Annie! I'm so glad I get to be your friend. So many fun times!

    ReplyDelete