Sunday, February 6, 2011

2010 - Books in Review

If you have been reading my blog you probably have noticed my Reading List on the sidebar. Last year I made a resolution, and knowing my tendency to be a little over zealous with goals I made only 1 resolution.

It was to read one book every month and join a Book Club. I did them both! Hooray! I am not a reader by nature. I usually choose to do projects in my free time, so making a resolution and being accountable (book club) helped me to reach my goal.

I have loved reading more often and enjoyed all the books I read!

Here is a list of the books I read over the year 2010:


Here is my list of favorite book to least favorite book:

The Help
The Hiding Place
The Guersney Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Boy in Striped in the Striped Pajamas
In Defense of Food
The Ladies Auxiliary
Stargirl
My Life in France
The Color of Water
Charms for the Easy Life
Green Smoothies Diet
Three Cups of Tea
The River Between Us

I have realized that some of my favorite book topics are WWII, or novels that have to do with the Jewish Culture - historical fiction, I guess. Any suggestions?

I hope you can take a few home to read yourself! Have you read any of these? What are your favorite books to read?

PS - I got all these books from the library. If you don't have a library card - GET ONE! I check all of mine out online and then go pick them up when they are ready! 

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are a member of our book club. It has been fun to get to know you better- and what better way to get to know someone then through books? I can't think of one. I was just sharing a quote from the Hiding Place in my Sunday School lesson. I am surprised how often I think about it and it inspires me to be my best. I hope to see you at book club on March 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne,

    One of my favorite series is a World War 2 Jewish story. It's the Zion Covenant Series followed by the Zion Chronicles. They're written by Bodie Thoene and are awesome.

    http://www.thoenebooks.com/bookList.asp?series=all

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite books has always been Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. It's a children's book, and a very quick read. It's historical fiction, WWII.... I'm like you, those are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jolynn, I read Number the Stars in grade school and absolutely loved it. It would be good to read again!
    @Hannah, I'll have to check out that series, thanks!
    @Rachel, it's been so much fun being a part of your book club! And becoming better friends! I hope to make it on the 2nd - there's a BYU game that night...so I haven't decided yet where I am going. I'll let you know. I got the book on tape!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read any of Chiam Potok's books? Thought provoking and interesting. You should read In My Father's House, which is the prequal to The Hiding Place.

    I also enjoyed Left to Tell. It is a true story of a woman who went through the Rawandan Holocaust. It is tough, but at the same time, it is inspiring. If you like these, I have more ideas for you!

    ReplyDelete