Monday, October 4, 2010

Flower Tee (creation #1)




I don't know what is happening, but I've got the bug - the creative, do-it-yourself bug and I am going crazy! (It all started with these two posts, here and here.)

I went through my entire closet pulling things that I don't like or wear much with the intent to re-fashion it for a whole new look. 

Tanner says he's lost his wife to the sewing machine! At times it is true. (I guess so much so that he had to come up with a project for himself - a chicken coop. Um, yea. More on that one later.)

I am having so much fun! I am just thrilled with how things are turning out. 

Here is one of the latest creations: (stay tuned, many more to come.)

Usually I see something that inspires and then I usually add my own little spin on it. For this creation I found my inspiration here. Using the tutorial as the basic instruction I came up with my own version.

I bought two of these American Eagle shirts at the DownEast warehouse for $2 each. 


1) I cut one of them into 2.5, 2, and 1.5 inch strips, then folded them into squares, and then cut about 50 little squiggly circles. I did the same to a darker pink shirt and lace fabric.



2) I then hand stitched 2 or 3 of the squiggly circles together to create a flower. I did all sorts of different combos. 


3) Then I stitched them on to the front of the tee.

 

Sounds simple, but beware it is very time consuming. I am almost embarrassed to say how long it took me. Let's just say I watched 2 1-hour Dateline Murder Mysteries and half of a football game and still had about 1 hour more to do....so okay, 5 hours. It took me 5 hours!!!!! Whew, glad it's done. I had fun doing it the first 4 hours and was surprised when I looked at the clock. The last hour was kind of a drag, but I had come so far and held fast to the end. :)

Here's the finished product! I love it. What do you think?




9 comments:

  1. Anne! You have a blog! I love it! That shirt is adorable and I may be copying you soon because I've got the creative do it yourself bug too!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, I know it would be different but do you think type 1's can "refurbish" shirts also? All types?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, I definitely think a Type 1 could do this too. Just do it all in your Type 1 tints. You could even do more colors to add more movement or do less flowers to create more of a popping effect! Try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just love this!! I really like the lace in there with the knit for the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! Love the texture and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I love that you mixed other color and texture in to this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, how cute! I'm excited to do this with my clothes once I figure a few things out...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~ I have been looking at DIY ideas on Facebook and Pinterest since last night. And then I decided to take a little time and read your blog today and here this is. I am so inspired right now. I have so many clothes that are either not my Type 2 colors or just don't look right. I think I am going to plan out a few projects for next weekend. I am so excited now!! :-)

    ReplyDelete