Saturday, September 18, 2010

Jenny, the STAR for Today!

Jenny, with her boys, after the race!

I want to give a BIG shout-out to my sister Jenny, who ran her first-ever marathon today in Dayton, Ohio!

For you non-runners, a marathon is 26.2 miles!

She has been training strong since March and had a great race.

I talked to her after she finished. She was so excited and happy! She said she never "hit the wall." I was so excited for her!

I ran my first (and only) full marathon in 2004. I started running in March of that year in order to have a good way of exercising without needing a gym, since I was moving to Hawaii for the summer and wanted to stay in shape. 

I wasn't planning on running a marathon when I started running, but then my friends and I decided to do a half-marathon together and when I finished I thought, "What's another 13.1 miles?! I could do this."

So, I made my plan and started training. By that point I could run 13.1 miles, but when I started in March I couldn't run 1-mile straight. Little by little I got stronger and little by little I came to love running. (It was up and down with the love thing.) I remember one time running a 9-mile course and I started crying out loud, "Why am I doing this?!" It was a hard run.

Eventually I came to fully love it and had a great time doing it. I had a great race, but I did "hit the wall" at mile 20 and had to convince myself I was just going for nice little 1-mile run every new mile until the finish line.

I don't run anymore. I don't want to run anymore. I got into triathlons (only 3 mile runs in those) after the marathon, which are so much fun and less intense (especially when you don't train).

But enough about me...back to...

JENNY!!! You are a champion!! I am so proud of you! You are AMAZING!!!! more exclamation points!!!!!! I know how much dedication it takes and I am so impressed with your efforts and determination!!!

Mother of two boys, wife of medical resident and now a super-star MARATHON RUNNER!!!

I love you, Jenny! WAY TO GO!!!! You are great!!!!


1 comment: