Saturday, July 10, 2010

Little Red Riding Hood

On June 5th I competed in an All Women Bike Race called Little Red Riding Hood! Cute, eh?! I did the 57-mile route with my dear friend Jessie Shurtleff. The race started in Lewiston in Cache Valley, Utah. Jessie and I both attended Utah State University in Cache Valley and love any excuse to return to the beautiful area!

The race, like I said, started in Lewiston, which is a city of less than 2,000 people. The ride continued through small farm towns. It was beautiful!!! Rolling green hills, cows, sheep, chickens, giant 100-year old plus trees, fresh flowers, family homes, acres of gardens...oh I loved it! Rolling green hills speckled with cows is a sight that will never get old to me. The weather was beautiful too - not too hot, not too cold and no wind. The ride took us about 5-hours to complete. There were pit-stops every 20-miles with food, water and treats to fuel up.

I didn't really train at all - I rode my bike about 3 times prior to the race. (Living on top of a mountain where it was still snowing weren't the ideal training conditions in my opinion and I just wasn't motivated to get on my bike). But alas, I made it! 57-miles was the perfect distance - challenging, but doable. Jessie is strong rider and helped me to keep a good pace and a positive attitude. The first 5-miles were actually the hardest. But once I got in the groove it was so fun!

Here are some pictures of me and Jessie with the Big Bad Wolf after the race and the beautiful sights along the race:


1 comment:

  1. You are amazing. I would love to do a race like that, once I am in better shape. :-)

    These are such beautiful photos. I hope to visit Utah while we are stationed here in New Mexico. I have been to all of the other Four Corners states, so it's only fair to visit Utah as well.

    ReplyDelete