Tuesday, May 25, 2010

New York, New York

New York City, The City That Never Sleeps, The Big Apple! Tanner and I went to New York City for 1 week with my parents for work and for fun. I love NYC, I have been 4 times now and have loved every time. I love the hustle and bustle and all the diversity. I love that I could walk down the street in a tutu and clown wig and no one would wonder what I was doing. It just seems like anything goes there.

When I was younger I had a plan to live in NYC, but that never panned out, and looking at the kind of lifestyle I want now, I am glad it didn't. I love visiting busy cities, but that's the keyword "visiting." I don't know if I would enjoy living in all the commotion full-time. Since marrying Tanner, I have become more of a country-farm girl and look forward to having a big farm (well, at least lots of grass and some chickens) someday in a quiet, friendly neighborhood. But that said, it was a fun trip and we got a lot done!

And I would have to get better shoes if I ever decided to live there, yikes, my feet hurt so bad after all that walking. I was limping by the end of the trip, my $12 sandals weren't cuttin it anymore and I had to throw on my - oh no - American Tourist White Sneakers! Tanner said it didn't look too bad and most other people were wearing them too, but that's the point - all the other American Tourists...they probably had fanny-packs too! (Obviously, I have an opinion about how Americans dress as they travel - I could always spot them when I lived in France - hoodie, pony tail, worn jeans, and WHITE SNEAKERS). Well, they were comfy, so I gave in...

As you will recall from a previous post (My Job) we sell jewelry online, so we went to NY to stock up on our supply. We meet with our manufacturers twice a year in Orlando, Las Vegas or New York. It is a lot of fun. I get to go through hundreds and hundreds of different pieces of jewelry and decide if we want to buy it and sell it. I love my job. But don't be mistaken, it is hard work and very taxing. Since Tanner is in charge of our online store so he was the go-to-guy for the final decision. It was funny to see him trying on necklaces and other jewelry, saying "Oh yeah, this is a nice piece, the ladies will love it"! We also met with our makeup manufacturer. In between the work we found some time to play.

Here is a little of what we did:
New York Yankees Game!
Beautiful stadium, yummy baseball hot dogs and wonderful weather - not to mention a fun game.

Broadway plays - Mary Poppins and Wicked! They were both wonderful. I love Broadway - big voices, amazing costumes, dancing. It's all so out of this world. The set on Mary Poppins was really cool. Wicked was everything I heard it was going to be. (Although my all-time favorite will always be Les Miserables.) We even went to a David Letterman show.

Central Park - rented bikes and rode around Central Park, which is really beautiful. I would have loved to have spent more time there. And fun in Times Square.

Yummy Food -  Red Mango, Godiva shakes, Max Brenner's Chocolate restaurant, pizzerias. Yummy!

I also treated myself to a haircut at an all-exclusive Curly Hair Salon - Ouidad. I have always wanted to get my hair cut here, so I guess it was a dream come true. They did all the things I would want an all curly hair salon to do - use a comb when conditioning, scrunch and diffuse properly, thin it according to my curls, and just a lot of TLC. I was very happy! (See my Before and After shots below.)

My parents went home one day before Tanner and I, so we spent the last day together walking and riding bikes around the city. I love traveling just with Tanner. No offense to my family, I love to travel with my family too, but it's always a little more romantic and special when it's just the 2 of us! I love you, Tanner. I like you, New York. Overall it was a great trip!

5 comments:

  1. That is so much fun!! I love how they did your hair! Very nice :) You always go on the funnest trips and I love seeing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip. It sounds like you did it all--musicals, biking, shopping, eating--how fun! You look so beautiful in all your pictures. And your hair looks great after you got it cut. I can't wait to see you and Tanner next week!
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie,

    So glad you enjoyed your Ouidad experience! Love the before and after photos!

    Valorie for Ouidad

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful trip! I have always wanted to go to NY! You two are so cute together!

    You got to go to Quidad! Lucky girl! I have always wanted my hair done there, yours looks great! Maybe Nicole can become a certified stylist?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had an amazing trip. I have only been to NYC once when I was 17, and I loved it. I would not mind living close to a big city but never in one. I prefer a more quiet, serene, laid-back environment, but I enjoy visiting big cities.

    I love the before and after photos from your Ouidad visit. I have naturally wavy/curly hair, and I have wanted to get my hair cut in one of their salons for so long. You look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete